American # 4168
American pastel of young lady grasping dove in the original oval floral gilt frame presented under glass, Mid 19th Century. Original paper label on back.
Ursuline Convent, Valle Crucis, Columbia, SC.
During the Civil War Sherman’s generals were told that all religious structures were to remain unharmed as the Union army made its way through Columbia, SC. Ursuline nuns and the students of their all-girls school remained at the convent’s original location on the corner of Richardson (today’s Main) and Blanding streets. Unfortunately, the fires consumed the convent early on the morning of February 17, 1865, as the sisters and their students found refuge in a nearby church. After a brief stay at the Hampton-Preston Mansion and then at a neighboring Methodist church, the sisters and their students settled in modern-day Heathwood, known then as “Valle Crucis.”
$ 6,000 Retail
23" T / 19.75" Wide / 2" Deep
Materials and Techniques
Gilt Gold Leaf,
Reference # 4168